Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ruth Suckow's legacy

I was pondering Suckow's legacy as I looked over some dates, and realized that her first short story was published 90 years ago ("Uprooted," Feb. 1921). Our book selection for the 2011 annual meeting, Country People, was published in 1924.

It has been 51 years since her death, 119 years since her birth, and 22 years since Ferner's death. Our Association was formed 45 years ago.

And yet, each semester as I teach my Introduction to Literature class, I continue to find that my students understand her story "A Rural Community," and can relate with Ralph, the main character, who finds his home town changed and yet unchanged. Suckow's gift for the description of the midwestern small town streets, fields, and characters resonates with them.

Search This Blog